This weekend, I’ll be hosting a number of my mom’s side of the family for great food (quinoa tabouli!), great games (badminton!) and great conversation. It’s been a year since I’ve seen many of these amazing peeps so it’s about time we make an occasion […]
Half of the summer is nearly gone already! How does that happen?!? At least that’s how I’ve always perceived the 4th of July holiday. It’s always marked the halfway point in my mind though we really do have two full months left until school starts up again. I shouldn’t be surprised that the 4th is already here but for some reason the busy-ness of the past month or so has caught me off guard and left me feeling drained and in need of a vacation. Soon enough I’ll get that vacay! In the meantime, I’ll focus on easy to make salads-as-a-meal like this southwest salad with chipotle dressing!
Southwest salad has a few layers of healthy greens as the base. Then it’s topped with fiberlicious black beans, grilled corn on the cob, scallions, grape tomatoes and a light summery chipotle dressing that has a little kick to it. Depending on how hungry I am, I’ll add avocado for the healthy fats or you can add grilled steak or chicken to it as well for a more filling dish. Add crushed tortilla chips for a little crunch and this southwest salad will be your go-to easy meal!
- 2 cups mixed greens (romaine, spinach, spring greens)
- 1 corn on the cob, grilled and kernels cut off (or use ½ cup frozen and then cooked corn kernels)
- 2 scallions, grilled if desired and then sliced into bite size pieces
- 15-20 grape tomatoes, halved
- ½ can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1-2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- crushed tortilla chips for garnish/crunch
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey (or agave nectar for vegan)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoons chipotle in adobo, finely chopped
- In a large serving dish, layer the greens, corn, scallions, tomatoes and black beans.
- Add tortilla chips if desired.
- Garnish with cilantro.
- In a small bowl or mason jar, add all dressing ingredients and whisk until combined. If using a mason jar, screw on lid and shake until combined.
- Pour over salad and enjoy!