A Better Benedict
Serving up deliciousness, right here, right now. And maybe if I’m lucky, my husband will make this for me for mother’s day brunch. I mean, I deserve to have him slaving away whisking this creamy savory hollandaise while I kick back with a cup of joe relaxing on Sunday morning. Am I right? or am I right? Truth be told, this recipe for a better for you, healthy eggs benedict (a better benedict!) requires very little slaving. Each piece is fast and easy to prepare. Yes, even the poached eggs. Though if poaching isn’t your game, just fry the eggs over easy and slide them on top. I won’t tell, and it’ll be equally delightful!
I stacked this better benedict to look like a cute flower with spinach petals fanned out on the bottom, then added a shredded sweet potato hash brown topped with Canadian bacon, a poached egg and drizzled with hollandaise. Sprinkle with chives and you’ll be serving up a gorgeous brunch. I’m 100 percent positive that if you make this for that special mom in your life, she’ll be one happy gal!
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup spinach
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 8 slices Canadian bacon
- chives for garnish
- 2 egg yolks
- ¼ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- Peel and finely shred the sweet potato and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Fry the bacon in a medium frying pan until lightly browned on each side. Remove from pan and keep warm on a covered plate.
- In the same frying pan (keep the grease), form sweet potato into 4 circular patties. The potatoes will hold together when they start to cook. Fry 2-3 minutes on each side (flip gently) just until they start to crisp.
- POACHED EGGS: In a 12" fry pan or shallow dish, let 3" of water come to a simmer (not boiling or it'll break apart your eggs). Add a splash of vinegar to the water. Crack each egg into a teacup or custard cup. Gently but quickly pour each egg into the simmering water and do not disturb. Let it poach for 5 minutes and then lift out with a slotted spoon. Place egg on a clean tea towel to dry off the excess water before plating.
- HOLLANDAISE: Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan and cook over low heat until thickened. Whisk constantly, about 5 minutes.
- ASSEMBLY: Fan out spinach on plate. Place a sweet potato hashbrown on top of spinach. Place two slices Canadian bacon on hashbrown. Top with a poached egg and drizzle of hollandaise. Sprinkle with chives.