Asian Beef and Cabbage Stir Fry
This is an unusually warm fall day. Nearly October and nearly 80 degrees. Despite really wanting to be outside, I’m stuck inside nursing a head cold. Ish. I’ve been diffusing thieves essential oil in my oil diffuser off and on the past few days in hopes of preventing the rest of my family from getting this. Welcome back to school season, when the kids bring home every cold bug in sight, right?!?!
I was feeling like I needed to have some extra nourishing food last night so I made up an awesome Asian beef and cabbage recipe for you. I started with a marinade that I use quite often for Korean style dishes and altered it a bit plus added a little starch to thicken the sauce. Packed with peppers, onions, and tossed over cabbage, it’s a grain free hearty meal perfect for nourishing a cold without weighing you down. Just what the doctor ordered!
Since this utilizes a marinade, it’s great for tougher cuts of meat. I order our beef straight from the farm and therefore receive all cuts of meat. The toughest of which is round steak and is the most challenging to obtain a chewable texture and flavorful bite. Enter the marinade. Nature’s wonderful way of converting that which is less desirable and turning it into something delicious. I cut the steaks up into small strips going against the grain and marinate them all day or even a full 24 hours. The result is a much more tender and much more flavorful steak perfect for using in stir fry like this Asian beef and cabbage stir fry.
- ½ cup low sodium tamari (or soy sauce)
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- splash of lime or lemon juice
- 1 pound round steaks, cut into strips
- 6 cups shredded cabbage
- Prepare marinade by whisking all ingredients together in small bowl.
- Divide marinade in half and pour half of the marinade over beef. Set remaining half of marinade aside in fridge for the sauce.
- Marinate beef for 8 hours up to 24.
- In a wok or large fry pan, stir fry marinated beef until fully cooked.
- Add onion and peppers and stir fry 2 minutes.
- Add reserved marinade and water to the pan and stir fry.
- Add arrowroot/water mixture and cook until sauce has thickened.
- Serve over chopped cabbage.