Blueberry Espresso Brownies
Not long ago, maybe a couple of winters ago, I discovered this truly amazing coffee blend called wild mountain blueberry. It tastes a little like a blueberry muffin and your breakfast coffee all in one delicious steaming cup of joe. Boy, do I wish I had a cup of that in my hands while I was watching my daughter’s soccer practice last night! My hands would have at least been warm. As I sat there shivering, I realized that I hadn’t posted any desserts for all of you yet. Shame on me. You deserve better. You deserve a decadent dessert recipe in the form of these blueberry espresso brownies!
These took a few tries to get it right. The first attempt ended up really flat but I served them to our former neighbor friends anyway. I’d hate to let anything go to waste. Mostly it was because I brilliantly decided to attempt a new recipe the afternoon we were going to their house and I was supposed to bring dessert. They ate them with a smile anyway and noted the intense blueberry flavor. That’s a sign of great friends… they eat my “fails” with a smile. Thanks guys! The second attempt was much better and just needed a few minor adjustments. This third attempt, I’d like to say that I nailed it!
This is the flavor reminiscent of the very wild mountain blueberry coffee I was imagining. Plus, these blueberry espresso brownies are kind of good for you. Well, they’re about as healthy of a brownie that you’ll get. It is still a treat after all…. but just look at this goodness!
Your coffee break tomorrow could be so much happier with a couple of these blueberry espresso brownies to savor don’t you think? I think so. Plus you can feel good about these as they are made with nutritious whole food ingredients!
- ¼ c coconut oil
- ½ c semisweet chocolate chips
- ¼ c espresso or strong brewed coffee
- ½ c blueberries
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- ⅓ c honey
- ¼ c unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 Tbsp ground flax seed
- ¼ c coconut flour
- ¼ c rice flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp kosher or Himalayan pink salt
- ⅛ tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt coconut oil and chocolate chips together in microwave on half power.
- Place blueberries and brewed espresso in a blender and puree. If the coffee is hot, let it cool.
- In a mixing bowl, combine eggs, vanilla and honey.
- Add blueberry-espresso mixture and chocolate-coconut oil mixture to the egg mixture once they are cooled enough so it doesn't cook the eggs.
- In separate bowl, combine remaining ingredients.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and whisk to combine.
- Pour into greased 9x9 pan.
- Bake 25-30 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.