Caprese Egg Salad Stuffed Avocados
I’ve been working on a ketogenic recipe series for the peeps over at BreakingMuscle.com where I just completed a really fun series on 20 ways to prepare poultry. You’ll have to check it out! I’m really enjoying the new keto challenge as it’s been really delicious and surprisingly easy to remove carbs and rely on fat focused energy. The keto series will be published later this spring so stay tuned! Anyway, I made a stuffed avocado recipe that is inspired by lox and bagels combined with egg salad that had smoked salmon, cream cheese, chopped hard boiled egg, dill and a few capers served up in these cute hollowed out avocado bowls which my hubby LOVED but I’m not a huge fan of salmon. So for myself, I made these caprese egg salad stuffed avocados along the same idea vein. They turned out perfectly creamy and delightfully satisfying.
Caprese egg salad stuffed avocados are super simple and make for an energy packed lunch or breakfast combining protein and fats to maintain that feeling of satiety which means you’ll be less tempted to snack later. Plus, the combo of tomato and basil is always a perfect medley. This meal comes together in a matter of minutes. Scooping out the avocado to make a little bowl is the perfect keto style edible serving dish. Use the portion that was scooped out as part of the filling combined with a chopped hard boiled egg, tomato, basil and bring the creaminess with either ricotta or homemade mayo to make it dairy free. Top with a tish of pesto and you’ve got a fun little lunch in tasty bright bowls!
- 1 avocado, pitted
- 1 hard-boiled egg, diced
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 1 tomato, seeded and diced
- ¼ cup ricotta cheese or mayonnaise
- 5 basil leaves, chopped (or use pesto to taste)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- pesto, as garnish
- Scoop out around where the avocado pit was making a uniform bowl out of the avocado. Place the scooped out avocado flesh in a small mixing bowl.
- Remove the peel from the avocado by scooping the avocado “bowl” out with a large spoon being careful to stay along the inside edge of the peel so you don’t cut into your “bowl”. Set aside.
- In the small mixing bowl, mash the scooped out avocado center with all of the other ingredients except the pesto garnish.
- Fill the avocado “bowls” with the mashed avocado/egg mixture.
- Top with a dollop of pesto and serve.