This bowl of cheesy awesomeness…Chile con Queso was my go-to appetizer for no less than three gatherings this holiday season among family and friends. It is the ideal blend of creaminess and spice with a little sneaky veggie value thrown in for good measure.
Sautéing a combination of hot peppers with garlic brings out just a hint of smokiness in the peppers and enhances their sweet flavors. Toss in some cream and two kinds of shredded cheeses with a spoonful of pumpkin or squash puree and you have a sure-fire win! Both of my daughters LOVED this healthier version of chile con queso with roasted broccoli for a satisfying snack. With football season still in full swing, this makes for the perfect dipper for veggies and chips alike while you watch the game!
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 1 cup queso quesadilla, shredded
- 1 cup sharp cheddar, shredded
- ¼ cup pumpkin or squash puree
- 2 habanero chile peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 red fresno chile peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon smoked salt (can use regular salt)
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ cup finely diced tomatoes
- In a medium saucepan, place chiles and garlic with a small amount of oil or butter and saute on medium heat until they are very fragrant and start to soften.
- Add cream, cheeses and pumpkin/squash puree and stir to combine.
- Once cheeses are smooth and melted, add remaining ingredients and stir until combined.
- Serve hot with any kind of dippers. Great on roasted veggies or corn chips!