Christmas Breakfast Cookies
It’s cookie season and I am not immune to all of the delectable holiday baking and candy making. My girls and I recently made my all time favorite cookie, chocolate mint cookies and also made a few batches of toffee. This is the time of year I play by the 80% clean eating rule… or maybe more like 60% 🙂 These Christmas breakfast cookies are a throwback to the traditional thumbprint cookies but made with cleaner, healthier ingredients and made more breakfast-y. Plus, these breakfast cookies look super cute and a little like bejeweled bite-size ornaments.
These Christmas breakfast cookies have less sweetness to them than most cookies which makes them great as a breakfast treat. I’ve used a gluten free oat flour as the base of these cookies to give them a good chew. Combining this with flaxseed meal (ground flaxseed) and shredded coconut gives them a fantastic consistency that’s a combo of breakfast bar meets granola. I use a vanilla bean paste for more intense vanilla flavor in the cookie base. Top these little guys with a dollop of homemade raspberry jam or use your favorite all-natural jam. Set these jovial little breakfast cookies out for Santa (and save some for yourself, of course) and I’m certain your Christmas morning will be full of twinkly tinsel and tasty treasures! I wish you all the very merriest holiday!
- 1 cup gluten free oat flour
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup flaxseed meal (ground flaxseeds)
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of pink himalayan or sea salt
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
- 3-4 tablespoons melted coconut oil or light tasting olive oil
- ¼-1/3 cup all-natural jam (i used a homemade honey raspberry jam)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a bowl, stir together flour, coconut, coconut sugar, flaxseed meal, soda and salt.
- Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and crack egg into it along with the vanilla and 3 tablespoons of the oil.
- Gently mix together with a fork. If cookies are too crumbly, add the last tablespoon of oil.
- Form cookies into small discs and place on a lightly greased baking sheet or use parchment or silicone baking mat.
- Gently press an indentation into the center of each cookie with your finger.
- Spoon a small amount of jam into the center of each cookie.
- Bake 18-20 minutes until cookies are golden along the edges.