Confetti Fish Cakes
In an attempt to eat more fish and make it fun for the kids, I tried my hand at forming fish cakes, which are basically a hamburger patty but made with fish. They are not as difficult as one might think. These pretty little patties are full of colorful diced peppers making it look a little like a confetti cake when you cut into each delightful bite. The trick to making these stick together is to add moisture in the form of an egg and a little homemade mayo. I’ve also thickened them slightly by including flax meal (ground flaxseed) which not only helps them hold together similar to the effect of a flax “egg” but also adds omega-3’s making these even more healthy for you!
Lightly fried in olive oil, these confetti fish cakes form a deliciously browned crust perfect for saucing. The sauce I’ve created for these is just a tad spicy and has only two ingredients: mustard and harissa sauce. If you’re not familiar with harissa, it’s a simple Moroccan red pepper sauce consisting of red chilies, red bell peppers, garlic, olive oil, vinegar and salt. In this recipe, I used the spicy harissa sauce but it is also available in mild with more red bell pepper added and less of the heat.
- 1 pound whitefish of any kind, cooked and finely flaked in a food processor (about 2 cups flaked)
- ½ green or yellow bell pepper
- ½ red or orange bell pepper
- 2 tablespoon red onion or shallot, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2-3 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoon flax meal (ground flax seed)
- ¼ cup harissa sauce
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- Heat a sauté pan on medium high with a small amount of olive oil.
- Sauté peppers, onion and garlic a few minutes until the onions start to become translucent and lightly browned.
- While peppers are frying, combine fish, egg, lemon juice, mayo, and flax meal in a bowl and stir until well combined.
- Add pepper, onion and garlic to the fish mixture and combine.
- Form mixture into four patties and place into hot pan with a little more olive oil.
- Cook about 4 minutes on each side until golden on edges.
- While fish cakes are cooking, stir together to harissa and mustard.
- Serve fish cakes with the harissa mustard sauce.
Like fish cakes? Try this unique version using salmon with a blueberry miso sauce!