Creamy Caramel Sauce
Okaaaaayyy….. after posting about rich moist chocolately blueberry espresso brownies last week, how could I possibly resist making a creamy caramel sauce to go with, well, rich vanilla ice cream and maybe those brownies on the side? Too much to resist! Let me tell you, this recipe was fun to create. I made it dairy free for those of us who don’t do dairy and instead of a refined sugar, it uses a more healthy coconut sugar. No, it does NOT taste like coconut. Just simple ooey gooey creamy caramel. Honestly divine.
- 2 tablespoons palm shortening
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- ½ cup canned coconut milk (full fat)
- pinch of salt
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon bourbon (optional)
- In a small saucepan, whisk together shortening, sugar, coconut milk and salt.
- Heat over medium heat until it begins to boil.
- Let mixture boil for about 5 minutes whisking occasionally. Watch so it doesn't burn or boil over.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla and bourbon if using.
- Pour into a cute little container and pour warm or cold over anything and everything.
- Store in fridge for up to a week if it lasts that long!