Ginger Grilled Scallops
You have no idea how excited I am right now. It’s been a whole week of above 50 degree temps in my Minnesota backyard and that means it’s GRILLING time!!! Bonus: grilling means that my kitchen doesn’t get messy which then means, I don’t have to clean it. Happy dance!!! Ginger Grilled Scallops are amazing. My kids kept popping them into their mouths like they were candy. I wasn’t expected that sort of enthusiasm from my kids so I didn’t make near enough. That just goes to show that when kids are presented with something fun and tasty, they will eat it. Especially if it’s as tasty as ginger grilled scallops and served on a stick.
I started with some good quality frozen scallops (defrosted) since I couldn’t find them fresh and gave them a good soak in cold salted water for about 30 minutes. You could skip this step if you like but I find that a salt water soak lessens any fishy taste that they may have. I use this trick for fish fillets and other seafood as well. Next, the sauce comes together with a quick little whisk in about 5 minutes or less. Pour most of the sauce over the scallops and simply grill on moderate heat for about 2 minutes per side. Baste them with the remaining sauce as you grill and just before serving. Might I suggest serving these with a light and easy sesame citrus bok choy? All in all, these cute little ginger grilled scallop kabobs can be ready for savoring in less than ten minutes. Fancy and flavorful, you’ll be wishing you’d made a double batch!
- 1 pound scallops, fresh or frozen and defrosted
- 2 teaspoons fresh grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon tamari (or soy sauce, or coconut aminos)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon crushed red chili pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- Soak defrosted or fresh scallops in a salt water bath for 30 minutes (optional).
- Combine all sauce ingredients in small bowl.
- In a separate bowl, pour most of sauce over scallops and stir until evenly coated.
- Thread scallops onto shish kabob sticks.
- Grill scallops over moderate heat for about 2 minutes per side. Baste with remaining sauce while grilling and just before serving.