Homemade Tater Tots with Sweet Smoky Aioli
Something very exciting just happened. By that, I mean something more exciting than making homemade tater tots, which I know, is also very exciting so I’ll get to that in a minute. You guys! I just made the list of Top 100 Clean Eating Blogs! Thank you for being supportive followers and readers. I really appreciate all of you coming here to read my ramblings and creating my recipes to grace your table too. This is an honor for a simple small blog like mine particularly because most of the other blogs mentioned have literally THOUSANDS if not a million regular followers. So THANK YOU for making me feel special!
To celebrate, let’s make some tots! Homemade tater tots are relatively simple but they obviously do take more time that just pulling some out of the freezer. The great thing about homemade tots, however, is that you can season them any way that you wish or even make them super cheesy! You can freeze them as well so the next time you need some tots to top your very Minnesotan tater tot hotdish, for example, you can just pull them out for a fast healthy topping.
These lovely little tots are paired with the same sweet smoky aioli I put over some venison steaks recently. A local restaurant makes homemade cheesy tots and pairs theirs with a similar style of saucy goodness and it’s truly to die for.
These tots start with par-boiled potatoes. The potatoes get just soft enough to shred but not soft enough that they crumble. Then you simply stir in the other ingredients, form them into a tot shape or whatever shape you prefer, and bake or fry to golden pillowy goodness. Mix up a little sweet smoky aioli to dip them in which is just an combination of mayonnaise, honey, mustard and barbeque sauce. Serve these hot with the sassy sauce and you have a mouth-pleasingly poppable little appetizer!
- 2 pounds russet potatoes (about 5 medium sized), peeled
- 1 tablespoon gluten free flour
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 shallot, minced
- ¼ teaspoon chives
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½-1 teaspoon pink Himalayan salt (to taste)
- 1 -1.5 cups sharp cheddar cheese, or other cheese (optional)
- 1 cup coconut oil for frying or just a little brush of olive oil for baking
- SWEET SMOKY AIOLI:
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon barbeque sauce (all natural)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Place peeled potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water to about 1 inch above potatoes.
- Boil potatoes 6-7 minutes. Drain and let cool.
- Finely shred the potatoes with a cheese grater or food processor.
- Drain as much water as possible from the shredded potatoes by squeezing them in a tea towel.
- In a large mixing bowl, add all other ingredients along with the potatoes.
- Form into tots with your hands.
- Heat coconut oil in a large pot. Fry tots without crowding the pan until just golden. About 4 minutes
- For baking, heat oven to 450 degrees and lightly grease a baking pan with olive oil. Bake until golden turning once halfway. About 20 minutes.
- To freeze, place fried/baked and cooled tots in an airtight container. Reheat in 400 degree oven about 15 minutes until warmed through.
- To make smoky aioli: combine all ingredients in a bowl and whisk until smooth!