Lemongrass Pork Noodle Bowl
I rarely post noodle style meals. I’m just not a huge noodle eater and tend to lean towards rice in most cases. These skinny ramen noodles that I recently discovered, however, have me indulging in EVERYTHING noodle. These are a millet and rice based ramen that is absolutely perfect for this lemongrass pork noodle bowl.
Before you lecture me about how terrible traditional ramen is for you (it is)… these are not your college cuisine style instant ramen made with wheat and preservatives. These ramen noodles are made from organic rice and millet… and that’s it! Two ingredients. Too delicious to pass up. Millet and rice are naturally gluten-free grains that taste amazing together. This natural grain pairing has a slight nutty flavor and these noodles don’t turn out mushy after cooking (unless you let them sit too long, of course, like any other noodle). They also have a fast cooking time so if you were to make the lemongrass pork meatballs in advance, this whole meal can come together in 15 minutes!
The main punch of flavor in this lemongrass pork noodle bowl is bursting with citrus notes from the infusion of lemongrass paste in the meatballs as well as a hit of lime in the sauce. Rounding out the Asian goodness is a bit of heat from chilies, ginger and garlic paired with the tangy saltiness of a traditional fish sauce. The lemongrass pork meatballs can easily be made in advance and either refrigerated or frozen. Just reheat them and toss them in the noodle bowl with the quick cooking rice ramen and you have a nearly instant dinner for those busy weeknights!
- 2-3 rice ramen cakes
- 2 carrots, peeled and shredded or shaved
- 6 oz snow peas
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil to grease the pan
- MEATBALL INGREDIENTS:
- 1 pound ground pork
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon lemongrass paste
- 1 tablespoon chili garlic paste (sambal oelek)
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger or use 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 tablespoon tapioca starch (can use cornstarch or GF flour blend)
- CHILI LIME SAUCE:
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1-2 thai chilies, finely sliced or use 1-2 teaspoons red chili flakes
- Place all meatball ingredients in a bowl and mix together.
- Form small balls with your hands and place in a large saute pan with a small amount of olive oil.
- Cook meatballs on medium heat until browned on all sides and cooked through.
- While meatballs are cooking, start the water boiling for the ramen noodles.
- Mix the chili lime sauce by whisking all of the sauce ingredients together and set aside.
- Once meatballs are done remove from the pan and keep warm.
- Cook the noodles and drain them. Toss them immediately into the pan that the meatballs were in along with the carrots, snow peas and chili lime sauce.
- Stir fry just a few minutes to incorporate the flavors.
- Dish into bowls and top with the meatballs and green onions.