Oven Fries with Sour Cream Chive Sauce
My two girls are off school for a few days which means my house is much more chaotic. It also means the volume is amped up tenfold with random singing (or fighting) among children. They were sent outside after a heated game of Monopoly Jr. to wear off some steam yesterday and at the moment they are deeply entrenched in an Xbox Kinnect game giving me a small amount of respite. Lunch preparations when all of us are home together on the weekdays are a unique moment to have fun “kid food”. Enter stage left: oven fries with sour cream chive sauce. These oven fries are quick to put together and the kids love them (so do I!). Prepare these easy baked chicken tenders at the same time and you’ve got a delicious healthy lunch!
The key to a good oven fry is to soak the cut fries in cold water first. After I cut them into sticks, I place the fries in a bowl of lightly salted cold water for 30 minutes. This pulls some of the starch out of them. The starch is what makes fries flexible so by removing some, it helps them crisp up as well as possible.
While the oven fries are soaking, combine the seasonings with the olive oil. Drain the fries from their cold water bath and place on a kitchen towel. Dry them slightly with the towel so the majority of the water is removed. Combine the fries with the seasonings in a bowl and then place them on a baking sheet. You will want to turn the fries at least once halfway through baking.
While the oven fries are baking, the sauce comes together super quick. Just whisk up the ingredients and you’re ready for some delectable dipping.
- 3 potatoes
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- FOR THE SOUR CREAM CHIVE SAUCE:
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons milk, buttermilk or coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon chives
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Cut potatoes into fry sized sticks and soak in lightly salted cold water for 30 minutes
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- While fries are soaking, mix the garlic, olive oil, salt, pepper and paprika and set aside.
- Drain fries and place on a kitchen towel. Dry them so that they are not super wet.
- Toss fries and seasoning mixture together in a bowl and place on baking sheet.
- Bake fries for approximately 30 minutes turning once halfway through.
- While fries are baking, whisk together the ingredients for the sour cream sauce in a small bowl.
- Serve hot from the oven with the sour cream sauce on the side for dipping!