Adventures in landscaping part 2: I turned my back from my planting project for a moment while the kids were out exploring the outdoor space between the large pine trees which is full of loose dirt perfect for digging and mud pies. I should have known […]
Unseasonably hot weather calls for cool slushy drinks. Am I right, or am I right?! Plus, it’s pretty to look at and makes me feel like I have my own personal cabana boy serving me poolside at some tropical resort. That really would be more fabulous but, alas, I do not have that option right this moment so instead, I make Blueberry Rhubarb Slush!
I’d like to say this is a bit healthier than your normal slush mix as I ditch the refined sugar that slush recipes usually call for and sub it out with coconut sugar. I like the deeper flavor that coconut sugar has for something like this and it’s not overly sweet. In my opinion, rhubarb is supposed to be tart so I like to keep it that way and not kill its flavor with sweetness. If you don’t have coconut sugar, I think maple syrup or honey would make a good substitute. You can also make this a virgin blueberry rhubarb slush by just omitting the vodka.
- 4 cups diced rhubarb
- 1 cup blueberries
- 2 cups water
- ½ cup coconut sugar (or ⅓ c maple syrup)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup white rum, vodka or gin (optional)
- ginger ale
- Place all ingredients except alcohol in a saucepan and cook until fruit is soft.
- Strain through a colander so you have a nice liquid without chunks.
- Add alcohol, if using, and place in a freezer proof container.
- Freeze until slushy, about 4 hours.
- Scoop into glasses and pour ginger ale over top to taste.
Not long ago, maybe a couple of winters ago, I discovered this truly amazing coffee blend called wild mountain blueberry. It tastes a little like a blueberry muffin and your breakfast coffee all in one delicious steaming cup of joe. Boy, do I wish I had a […]