Tomato Bacon Jam
I can’t wait to go camping this weekend!!! I am normally excited for camping adventures but this weekend is bound to be full of shenanigans as we’re meeting up with some extended family that we haven’t seen in quite some time. My apologies to the other campers for putting up with all of us in advance but, man, it’s going to be a GREAT time!
On another exciting note, I have such fantastic neighbors who bring me delicious garden treats like buckets of fresh mixed tomatoes. In exchange, I transform them into tomato bacon jam and send over a plate of appetizers. I think that’s a fair exchange! I recently had tomato bacon jam schmeered on an impressive burger at a local restaurant and after one bite, I knew I had to make it.
This jam is the perfect balance of savory sweet goodness and can be spread on anything from baguette to burgers and everything in between. This easy jam would also make a great substitution for humdrum ketchup in many recipes too giving an extra kick of flavor for your tastebuds to enjoy with abandon.
- 10 medium roma tomatoes (or similar sized tomatoes of any kind), cored and quartered.
- 8-10 slices bacon, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ -1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- In a saucepan on medium heat, sauté onion, garlic and bacon until bacon is cooked through.
- Add all other ingredients and cook until tomatoes are soft.
- When tomatoes are soft, smash jam with a potato masher or for a finer consistency blend with a stick blender.
- Continue cooking until jam is thick.
- Serve warm or at room temperature spread on baguettes, on a burger, or any other fun dippers! Delicious substitute for ketchup as well 🙂