Vanilla Pear Donuts
Last week, I spent many hours baking to prep for a breakfast I was providing for 60 of my husband’s co-workers. I created this recipe especially for this event so I could present something extra special. It was a huge success and one of the highlights from the breakfast buffet was this delightful goodie… vanilla pear donuts topped with a decadent dark chocolate glaze. Since discovering my new love affair with oat flour, I used that as my base. With a slight hint of cinnamon and nutmeg, these vanilla pear donuts have an uncanny similarity in flavor to warm baked pears you often see for dessert. Be sure to chop the pear pieces in small little bits so you’ll get even flavoring and moistness throughout each donut.
These yummy nuggets are baked in a donut pan instead of fried. Once cooled, the tops (the parts that are less rounded since they are baked in a pan) get covered in chocolate. The dark chocolate glaze is really quite simple. I found some high quality dark chocolate chips and melted them. Then I thinned them out with coconut oil so the chocolate was thin enough to dip the donut tops into it without causing them to crumble. Too thick of a glaze will “hold onto” your donuts once dipped and you’ll have difficulty pulling them back out of the chocolate without crumbling them. A thinner glaze makes for less resistance when dipping and also allows a thinner glaze on top which is just perfect. Check these shiny fresh dipped donuts out…
Are you drooling yet? Great! I’m making up a batch of these for Christmas morning. Mmm… insert vision of yourself eating (devouring) these amazing vanilla pear donuts here….
- 2 cups oat flour (use certified gluten free if you need to be sure it's gluten free)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup coconut milk (or any other milk)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 pear, peeled and finely chopped (I chopped to about ¼" cubes)
- 2 cups dark chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil (or more if needed for desired glaze consistency)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a donut pan and set aside.
- Whisk together oat flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, beat the syrup, eggs, coconut milk and vanilla together.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour wet into dry. Mix until combined.
- Stir in diced pears.
- Pour batter into donut pan filling each cavity ¾ full. I use a liquid measuring cup to accurately pour the batter into the pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes and then turn onto cooling rack to finish cooling.
- Prepare glaze while donuts are cooling. Melt chocolate chips either in double boiler or use microwave for 30 second intervals at half power being careful not to scorch chocolate. Once chips are melted, stir in coconut oil.
- Dip tops of donuts in chocolate glaze once fully cooled. Let sit until chocolate is firm. You can also put the tray of dipped donuts in a refrigerator to let chocolate set faster.