After this past weekend’s indulgences, I’m in need of a little detox. This white bean stracciatella soup is the perfect remedy. Stracciatella is a simple vegetarian soup that begins with a broth. With the addition of white beans and kale, this soup is nutritiously hearty and contains a lot of fiber to help detox your system and get back to your normal self.
Stracciatella comes from an Italian word meaning rag or ribbons which is exactly what the eggs look like once they are poured into the broth. For non-vegetarian eaters, I like to add a little gelatin to this soup if I’m not using a homemade broth. Gelatin has amazing benefits for the digestive system as well as giving structure and shine to your nails, skin and hair. Who doesn’t love that?! This tasty soup comes together very quickly so you’ll be slurping up the goodness and reaping its benefits within minutes!
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped basil
- ½-3/4 cups fresh chopped kale, leaves only
- 1 tablespoon gelatin (optional - omit for vegetarian)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ½ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- In a stockpot, sauté the garlic slices in olive oil just until fragrant.
- Add broth, basil, beans, kale and gelatin (if using) and bring to a boil.
- Gently pour beaten eggs into the hot soup. They will form ribbons as they cook.
- Stir in salt and cayenne to taste.
- Serve hot!
Also delicious topped with a small amount of parmesan or manchego!