Amid all the chaos and being ill, we did indeed get our house listed last week. Oy. Now comes the not so easy task of keeping it clean. If only I could just have the kids live outside until the house sells. I jest, […]
I am so impressed with my husband right now. For his work, the managers take turns bringing a Friday breakfast selection for everyone to munch on. Jason has decided that he (meaning me) should bake up some healthy breakfast items and provide the team […]
Inspiration comes in very odd forms sometimes. For example, I mixed up the main ingredients of this orange pomegranate holiday salad and was debating what sort of dressing would pair well with it. It happens that my daughters were making up some hot chocolate right next to me and the scent of the cocoa along with the scent of the oranges and pomegranate smelled divine together. So I got to thinking… what if I made a dressing that had cocoa in it? I love the taste of chocolate and oranges and so I began the dressing based on a traditional vinaigrette combining red wine vinegar, olive oil, orange zest and unsweetened cocoa powder. Cocoa is considered a health food these days so with that kind of rap, why not indulge! It makes this healthy salad seem a little bit naughty, but I promise you’ll still stay on Santa’s nice list.
- For the salad:
- 10 oz package of mixed greens
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds or dried cranberries
- 3 clementine oranges, divided into sections
- ½ shallot, sliced
- manchego cheese (optional, for topping)
- For the vinaigrette:
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- zest from 1 orange
- ½ teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- Place all salad items in a large bowl and set aside.
- Whisk together vinaigrette ingredients and pour over salad.
- Toss to combine.
- Top with shaved manchego cheese if desired.