I dream of sipping warm sumptuous soup in the long winter months. It’s so soothing and extremely good for you. I was recently reading an article (well, more like 4 or 5) and apparently “souping” is a thing. Like the “juicing” craze that happened a few […]
We had a great Thanksgiving with all of my husband’s family coming over to our house. It was an amazing feast with each of us providing a few signature dishes and a few new ones. In true form, my husband smoked our turkey again this year to absolute perfection. It’s my favorite way to have turkey. Flavorful, moist, delicious. I, of course, overestimated our turkey needs and therefore we have a few pounds of extra smoked bird. This doesn’t bother me as I have plenty of fun ways to use up our leftovers from turkey pot pie, shredded turkey in gravy over biscuits and this fun one, turkey tortilla soup!
Turkey tortilla soup can be made in less than a half hour so it’s perfect for these few days after the feast when you just want to be relaxing rather than cooking. Of course, this recipe works equally well with chicken. I topped it with fresh sliced avocados while my hubs and kiddos crushed many tortilla chips into theirs. However you top it, turkey tortilla soup is the perfect way to use up those leftover tasty turkey morsels of goodness.
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups diced or shredded cooked turkey
- 1 - 14.5oz can diced tomatoes (I used fire roasted)
- 4 cups low sodium chicken or turkey stock
- 1 jalepeno, seeded and diced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½-1 teaspoon salt (try it with smoked salt!)
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon grass fed beef gelatin (optional - I used this for extra nourishment)
- In a medium saucepan, sauté onion and garlic in olive oil just until fragrant.
- Add remaining ingredients to saucepan and cook over medium high heat until bubbly.
- Serve with sliced avocado, or topped with tortilla chips or guacamole.